Sunday, March 7, 2010

Myanmar - Bagan

What a beautiful place Bagan is and a favorite of mine. Visited a colorful morning market selling produce as well as tempting local wares. Ended up buying three pillow covers for $2 each. You have to bargain and it was strange because it was so cheap, you just want to hand over the cash. They're tough to haggle with, but I was happy with my $2 deal and bargaining skills. To ease the guilt when bargaining and buying, I made donations at each of the monasteries.





v
Rarely experienced by tourists is a novice monk procession --- what timing! Five children were being initiated this day and it was a huge procession. All children were all related and their families turned out in mass. It gave me goose bumps.


Some say Bagan is second to Ankor Wat in Cambodia, but I think not. There are over 4,000 concentrated in a small area. You can reach all by car or by bicycle which is popular. I wish I had an extra day to explore on my own on bike.

The scenery is breathtaking. The below photos do not need words...



The day ended with sunset on the river in my long boat. How peaceful and quiet...until a tanker chugged by, but that was OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment