Friday, March 5, 2010

Myanmar - Yangon

Arrived Yangon at 2pm on Tuesday, Feb. 23rd from LAX via Bangkok. No scheduled program -- time to recuperate. I had to get used to to no credit cards accepted, no ATM's and US currency in crisp, new bills only. If you can't find new US bills, they're all being hoarded in Myanmar. Thank goodness I had new bills. If not, you're sunk.

By 4pm I was ready to explore on my own. I could see the Shwedagon Pagoda from my hotel. See the photo of Shwedogon on m previous post. This was a trip of pagodas, temples, monasteries, monks and Buddhas statues/images -- they were all beautiful and I never tired of them.

Shwedagon Pagoda was a 15 minute walk from my hotel. The most stressful part about going off on my own in this new city/country for the first time? Crossing the busy street! I got there safely w/out being hit by a motorbike after almost giving up.

Got back just in time for "happy hour" and tried a Myanmar beer. Tasted great after all that heat and dust! Never had dinner that night. Crashed early after my shower.

My hotel bill? $1 for my beer!


No comments:

Post a Comment