Sunday, March 7, 2010

Myanmar - Yangon

An early morning flight back to Yangon for my last overnight in Myanmar. I would leave the next afternoon for home. Visited the Shwegadon Pagoda again with my guide Tu-tu (yes, this was her nickname!) at sunset. This time I had commentary that I didn't have when I visited on my own and learned a lot more. And as we rested a couple of times, I learned more about her. Being a tour guide in Myanmar is a good job. They all support their families and make enough to buy what they would call luxuries that we take for granted.


That's me at my birth sign scooping water over the image, elephant with tusks as I was born on a Wednesday in the morning. Had it been in the afternoon? Elephant w/out tusks.

The afternoon was so hot and unbearable that I took a short rest at my hotel to cool off.
Visited Sule Pagoda, 2,000 years old and located in a busy intersection. A mix of the past and present.

That evening I had pasta, only my second western meal in over a week. One should always stick with the local cuisine. The seafood pasta was fine, but I enjoyed my glass of wine more.

Bogyoke Market was closed and I was so disappointed. It has hundreds of stalls of clothes, food, handicrafts, jewelry...and was I going to miss this? Not on your life. My pick-up for my transfer to the airport was at 12pm so off I went via taxi in the morning for a quick stop on my own. I swear the taxi on my return to my hotel was either going to lose all its wheels and/or the exhaust was going to kill me. Luckily I'm here today to tell you all about it.

Then off I was to Bangkok. Arrived at 4pm and left the following morning at 7:30am. Since I was there for so little time with an EARLY wake up call, I stayed a the Novotel at the airport. Very convenient.

Time flies when you're having fun and time certainly flew. Much too quickly.

...so where to next????

No comments:

Post a Comment